Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Morning Circle & Affirmations

Related image

I am trying something new this year. That phrase, as my students would attest, is a common refrain from me! Most of them are happy to come along for the ride with me, although some remain resistant to anything that feels a little bit out of the ordinary. Hoping to encourage them to take those positive risks by the end of the year.

We start every morning in my class with a sharing circle. Students are encouraged, but not required, to share a "grimace" and a "sourire" (something that is bothering them, and something that is making them happy). Most students share at least a little bit each day, but there are those who have yet to take the risk. I am excited for the day that those few students feel safe enough to share something in the morning circle. This "frowns and smiles" approach was inspired by Monte Syrie's excellent blog, Project 180. If you are looking for another education blog to follow, that would be my top recommendation.

At the end of morning circle, we speak our affirmations :
Nous sommes des membres importants de cette communauté.
Nous sommes écrivains.
Nous sommes lecteurs.
Nous sommes mathématiciens.
Nous sommes formidables.

Many students join in on speaking these aloud together, while others choose to listen (and, I hope, speak them in their minds!) We have acknowledged that this might feel slightly "fromageux" (cheesy, in other words), and that positive self-talk takes practice.

I hope that some of those affirmations take hold in their brains. Just as they practice dribbling the basketball, adding fractions, and speaking French, I want positive self-talk to become habit for my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment